Wednesday, October 3, 2007

TV at 3AM

At 3AM, there are a lot of infomercials, the music channels may actually play a video or two, the religious channels keep preaching the word, obscure news analysis shows try to help cure the insomnia, and old movies and TV shows, usually fairly odd ones, are there for the watching. By far the most unexpected offering that I came across today is Reading Rainbow on PBS. And there are 4 episodes back-to-back. Honestly, it never occurred to me that late-night television market was under-serving the pre-teen market, but there you go.

The most remarkable thing that I learned from this is that Reading Rainbow was in production until last year, with LeVar Burton the host for the show's entire run. The episode that I started watching was much older, from the days that I was in the target demographic, and it reminded me of how much I disliked being talked down to when I was 10.

No comments: